PM Imran Khan announces relief package to provide relief to citizens
Islamabad: Prime Minister Imran Khan has announced a special relief package amounting to PKR 1.2 trillion with an aim to provide relief to the citizens during the tough time imposed by the COVID-19 outbreak.
There is also a special package promised for the construction sector that PM Khan said had not been previously seen in the history of the country. This package is expected to be announced in the next few days. The PM shared the details of the relief package during a press conference.
The key highlights of the relief package are:
- Tax refunds worth PKR 100 billion to be issued immediately for the export sector and related industries to enable them to pay their laborers.
- PKR 3000 monthly aid to be given individually to over 10.2 million Pakistanis for four months.
- Interest and principal payments will be deferred.
- Petrol/diesel prices to be lowered by PKR 15/liter
- Funds worth PKR 50 billion reserved for utility stores
- Shelter homes to be expanded to accommodate more people
- Electricity consumers using 300 units and gas consumers with monthly bills up to PKR 2000 will get the option to pay their dues in installments spanning 3 months
- PKR 100 billion reserved to deal with emergency situations and counter any potential lockdowns and the aftereffects
- Funds worth PKR 25 billion will be allocated to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to purchase CONVID-19 testing kits and related supplies
- Tax on food items to be reduced or abolished
After sharing the details of the relief package, PM Imran Khan appealed the citizens again to cooperate with the government in its efforts to stop the further spread of coronavirus by staying indoors.